Friday 29 August 2014

A big decision...


Heeeey,

So while I was away in Crete Nixon suffered from a bit of lameness which resulted in a precautionary visit from the vets. He had x-rays and tests and it turns out he has sheered heels, side bones and arthiritus.

I always knew there would be a time when he showed signs of age because he was around 13 when I brought him 5 years ago. He also has pigeon toes which up until now hadn't caused him any problems. The worst thing about owning animals is having to make such big decisions for them. There’s no way of really knowing what they think or want, so you just have to weigh up the options and decide.

I had two main options; put him through remedial farriery, injections and continual medicine to allow me to ride or to allow him to retire. I’m both happy and sad to say I chose the latter.

As a nervous old boy I didn’t want to put him through the stress and pain, all for me to have a ride now and again. Instead I’ve decided to allow him to take up retired life of eating, grooming and cuddles.

I think I might start doing some in hand work with him and maybe try teach him a few tricks or something - go all Monty Roberts!

Unfortunately it’s one of those things where not every one will agree with your decision and I did have a few noses turn up at me. However, I'm safe in the knowledge that I know my horse well enough to judge that now is the right time.

Not to worry, he's still a cheeky boy and full of character, so we will still be having lots of fun. 























Gemma xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY ALEELILY DESIGNS | POWERED BY BLOGGER.